Arcade Prehacks

Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: General Chat Lounge

Quote Originally Posted by W4N73D1 View Post
    Nothing else seems to keep me away from code
    I wish i would not get distracted so easily but it happens all the time. Usually when i code and run into a small problem i do something else and try to come back later. Now the problem is that later can mean the next day or even worse.

Maybe i gonna finish this simple memory game without taking too much time. I set up SDL so i can use graphics and the mouse rather than the command line. Today i did not do much here just thinking of a good way to address a tile in an image atlas so i can pull the cards images from there.

The general approach would be to save the x, y, width, height of every included image but with images being the same size it should be possible to calculate this. I am just too tired to think about it today...

Quote Originally Posted by ZuckeR View Post
    I wish i would not get distracted so easily but it happens all the time. Usually when i code and run into a small problem i do something else and try to come back later. Now the problem is that later can mean the next day or even worse.

Maybe i gonna finish this simple memory game without taking too much time. I set up SDL so i can use graphics and the mouse rather than the command line. Today i did not do much here just thinking of a good way to address a tile in an image atlas so i can pull the cards images from there.

The general approach would be to save the x, y, width, height of every included image but with images being the same size it should be possible to calculate this. I am just too tired to think about it today...
    Ahh yeah i was actually attempting a memory game once , i wanted to make it for practice in java but failed cause it was my first thing i ever tried in java lol i cant really help much there i've never actually made a successful game myself , i wish i knew how to make a game with better graphics like as you would see in the games Sea Boom , Shootout in the west , No more room in hell, Etc. possibly using box2d? i only really use Flixel and ive gotten quite good with it but just not very good with Platformers , i just got an idea right now maybe an infinite runner , wild west themed , be a cowboy/sheriff, and shoot on-coming enemies , jump over boxes and tumble-weed? i can either make that in flixel or Box2D im not sure

Nice, just banned 3 people for advertising/search engine poisoning.

i wish i knew how to make a game with better graphics ... possibly using box2d?
    Well, i should not talk here as i am guilty as well but! Try to create a game that works first and then add better graphics later. Especially on a one man project graphics only distract from a good gameplay. Once the game takes form you can then gradually increase the quality of the graphics as well. Many games seem to do graphics over a fun to play game anyways.

And Box2D has little to do with graphics as it is just a physics engine/collision detector of sorts.

i only really use Flixel and ive gotten quite good with it but just not very good with Platformers , i just got an idea right now maybe an infinite runner , wild west themed , be a cowboy/sheriff, and shoot on-coming enemies , jump over boxes and tumble-weed? i can either make that in flixel or Box2D im not sure
    The idea does not seem to bad, nothing new but interesting enough. And it should be quite possible to do in Flixel. And while you are using Flixel anyways you can also use it for collision detection without the need for Box2D. If the basic colliding functions in Flixel aren't enough you could still try out Box2D or nape.

Oh boy i just checked it and it seems that Flixel was not updated in about 6 years, Box2D not since 2013 and nape since 2014. There is a community fork for flixel and that is 3 years old as well. This kind of shows how Flash development lost its momentum over the years.

I think i'll stick to C/C++ with SDL, not like i ever gonna release anything anywhere in the near future.

Nice, just banned 3 people for advertising/search engine poisoning.
    Search engine poisoning?

Well, i should not talk here as i am guilty as well but! Try to create a game that works first and then add better graphics later. Especially on a one man project graphics only distract from a good gameplay. Once the game takes form you can then gradually increase the quality of the graphics as well. Many games seem to do graphics over a fun to play game anyways.
    Thats true , so ill probably work on the game mechanics first figure out how to make an infinite runner n then how to randomize enemies and increase how fast they come over time

And Box2D has little to do with graphics as it is just a physics engine/collision detector of sorts.
    Ahh okay , i've actually never used it before just seen it alot in other games coding lol

The idea does not seem to bad, nothing new but interesting enough. And it should be quite possible to do in Flixel. And while you are using Flixel anyways you can also use it for collision detection without the need for Box2D. If the basic colliding functions in Flixel aren't enough you could still try out Box2D or nape.

Oh boy i just checked it and it seems that Flixel was not updated in about 6 years, Box2D not since 2013 and nape since 2014. There is a community fork for flixel and that is 3 years old as well. This kind of shows how Flash development lost its momentum over the years.

I think i'll stick to C/C++ with SDL, not like i ever gonna release anything anywhere in the near future.
    I Believe flixel should be enough and trying to start box2D would be more time consuming lol the main problems i think i will have is creating a way to aim instead of just shooting forward which will open more doors for new things such as bird enemies or something, Also making the floor move and placing boxes at random times before they enter the screen & Why arent you going to release anything? Still want to practice more?

Search engine poisoning?
    Search engines do put up sites high on their lists that get mentioned and linked to from many other sites. Thats why spammers do mention the names of those sites in posts or keep posting links. The post could seem legit but often its somewhat odd.

Thats true , so ill probably work on the game mechanics first figure out how to make an infinite runner n then how to randomize enemies and increase how fast they come over time
    Thats the way to go, split the game into smaller problems main screen > standing > walking > jumping > ...

Ahh okay , i've actually never used it before just seen it alot in other games coding lol
    It is quite popular as there are not so many physic engines specialized in 2D.

I Believe flixel should be enough and trying to start box2D would be more time consuming lol the main problems i think i will have is creating a way to aim instead of just shooting forward
    Yeah flixels collision detection should suffice for such a game. Shooting could just be done by firing the projectile into the direction of the mouse cursor. This is actually pretty straight forward math.
    Code:
    // Rotation in radians
    player.rotation = Math.atan2(mousePosition.y - player.position.y, mousePosition.x - player.position.x);
    // radius + 1 to position the bullet just outside the player
    // Vec2 should be just am object with simply x and y
    new Vec2( player.position.x + Math.cos(player.rotation) * 16, player.position.y + Math.sin(player.rotation) * 16 )
    Also making the floor move and placing boxes at random times before they enter the screen
    Autoscrollers are not too hard as well. Its cool if you think about how the caracter isn't actually moving in those, just the background and objects are.

Why arent you going to release anything? Still want to practice more?
    Practive is one thing but the bigger problem is me not finishing anything. Like this memory game i simply wanted to recreate in C++ as it is pretty easy but i just don't progress. I just keep distracting myself with stuff like work, sleep, meals, videos and reading stuff on the internet

I Couldnt Quote for some reason but Your saying they use like a script or something to grab the top sites off search engines and spam them?

I Can do like Flixel States easily i've gottent those down , i just have problems with text updating on those..
    so like HUD would be a problem

I've never actually used Vectors , nor do i know much about using them but i have heard of them

With a scroller how would i make it repeat? i've never made one before so it seems quite hard as a beginner

i have that problem as well i've started alot of projects but never finished most of them

Your saying they use like a script or something to grab the top sites off search engines and spam them?
    No they spam all kind of pages were users can add content like forums. Search engine spiders/bots then find these links when they crawl a site. If they notice a link on many individual sites it assumes that this is an interesting link for people. So the linked site gets a better rating as it is referred to pretty often.

I Can do like Flixel States easily i've gottent those down , i just have problems with text updating on those..
    so like HUD would be a problem
    I don't know how flixel handles as those things.

I've never actually used Vectors , nor do i know much about using them but i have heard of them
    They are pretty simple constructs. Usually depending on what kind (2D, 3D) of vector they have x, y, z coordinates. They are an easy way to store coords and pass them to functions. And most implementations have function to add them together so you would not need to do a.x + b.x / a.y + b.y but do something like a.add(b). Vectors in C++ are something different though.

With a scroller how would i make it repeat? i've never made one before so it seems quite hard as a beginner
    Well, basically you just have a background picture moving from right to left so it appears the character is movng from left to right. The simplest way would be to use a background that has the same size as the screen and its left and right side can fit seamlessly together. Then you would have this three times on the lowest layer and simply move them from left to right by decreasing their x value. Once the leftmost image is far enough off screen it can simply be placed at the right side again.

The same principle can be applied to a top down view on a tiled map where instead of 3 images you hav a lot more and simply draw only the ones needed at the time.

i have that problem as well i've started alot of projects but never finished most of them
    Sounds familiar

No they spam all kind of pages were users can add content like forums. Search engine spiders/bots then find these links when they crawl a site. If they notice a link on many individual sites it assumes that this is an interesting link for people. So the linked site gets a better rating as it is referred to pretty often.
    Ahh okay that makes more sense

I don't know how flixel handles as those things.
    I've seen it in a few games , one game ill have to study the games code more is Zombies in your Backyard something like that , its made in flixel and has the rotating arm, updating text, multiple weapons, multiple enemies which are all things i need to learn for the game i want to make

They are pretty simple constructs. Usually depending on what kind (2D, 3D) of vector they have x, y, z coordinates. They are an easy way to store coords and pass them to functions. And most implementations have function to add them together so you would not need to do a.x + b.x / a.y + b.y but do something like a.add(b). Vectors in C++ are something different though.
    Ahh i think i know a little bit about the x,y,z coordinates i tried them in Away3D which was a hard ass library lol

Well, basically you just have a background picture moving from right to left so it appears the character is movng from left to right. The simplest way would be to use a background that has the same size as the screen and its left and right side can fit seamlessly together. Then you would have this three times on the lowest layer and simply move them from left to right by decreasing their x value. Once the leftmost image is far enough off screen it can simply be placed at the right side again.
    So add the image 3 times in different X Coordinates next to each other and move them left everytime the frame updates once on reaches the end of the screen move the image using an if condition like if(backgroundImg.x < 0) then just move the backgroundimg.x = 240; something like that?

The same principle can be applied to a top down view on a tiled map where instead of 3 images you have a lot more and simply draw only the ones needed at the time.
    I've used a tile map using an Array or a Textfile , Which the text file seemed to be more clean, just a little more work to put it in the code

Sounds familiar
    haha if i never developed the habit of doing that id probably know more about coding in different languages

I've seen it in a few games , one game ill have to study the games code more is Zombies in your Backyard something like that , its made in flixel and has the rotating arm, updating text, multiple weapons, multiple enemies which are all things i need to learn for the game i want to make
    Stealing... i mean learning from others is always good. I usually don't copy whole projects or what not but smaller snippets that do what i want. Changing those to fit your program as well as optimizing them, depending on what they are.

Ahh i think i know a little bit about the x,y,z coordinates i tried them in Away3D which was a hard ass library lol
    I know pretty little about 3D in general, all i have ever done was 2D.

So add the image 3 times in different X Coordinates next to each other and move them left everytime the frame updates once on reaches the end of the screen move the image using an if condition like if(backgroundImg.x < 0) then just move the backgroundimg.x = 240; something like that?
    Yeah thats bascially it. Do that with three layers that move at a different rate and you are using parallax scrolling. This makes the effect much more believable and can look awesome.

I've used a tile map using an Array or a Textfile , Which the text file seemed to be more clean, just a little more work to put it in the code
    Thats usually the way to it yeah. Doing it within the games code as an array is not as flexible as within a sperate file. You have to recompile the game everytime you change the map.

haha if i never developed the habit of doing that id probably know more about coding in different languages
    Well it kinda is backwards as well. If i could concentrate more i would know one language pretty well. But for its so that i know very little about languages but for quite a few because i tried several. Some i do only know the general syntax and am able to understand what a code should do.

Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast